SCA conducted an extensive needs based assessment for the use of clinical ultrasound by anesthesiologists in the practice of perioperative medicine. The perioperative ultrasound course (PoCUS) is a collaboration between SCA and iTeachU that provides education to help address the professional practice gaps found in the assessment.
In collaboration with iTeachU, SCA is very excited to announce a new hybrid course – part online learning and part hands-on participation. Check SCA for future hand-on workshop dates.
PoCUS offers training in utilizing basic clinical ultrasound to assist in clinical assessment, decision-making and using ultrasound to guide percutaneous procedures. This is a three-part course that requires learners to complete an online portion, a hands-on workshop and a number of supervised studies which are tracked in an online logbook.
Participants who complete the online program, live hands-on portion, and the log book (75 studies), will receive a program completion certificate.
The knowledge-based online learning component focuses on gaining ultrasoud knowledge and ultrasound guided procedure techniques. The online modules, tutorials and case studies will cover the following topics.
- Basic Transthoracic Echocardiography (TTE)
- Abdomen and Peri-arrest
- Basic Transesophageal Echocardiography
Students have the flexibility to study on their own schedule. Program materials can be accessed through the iTeachU app on smartphones and tablets wtih iOS, Android or Windows systems. Once program materials have been downloaded, all interactive media content can be viewed even when offline (periodic internet access is required to login or verify login credentials). The course can also be accessed online using a web browser.
Upon successful completion, each student will receive a formal Certificate of Completion and will be able to earn 85 AMA PRA Category 1 CME Credits™.
Academic and private practice anesthesiologists, residents, and fellows providing patient care in a teaching or community-based health care settings.
Statement of Need
- The use of clinical ultrasound to assist in clinical decision making in perioperative medicine, such as basic transthoracic echocardiography, lung ultrasound, basic abdominal ultrasound, and basic transesophageal echocardiography is a major advancement in perioperative health care and anesthesiology practice but is currently not widely used or adopted in health care settings.
- The use of clinical ultrasound to help guide percutaneous procedures in perioperative practice, such as nerve blocks, vascular access, and pleural drain insertion is an established practice in anesthesiology, but not yet widely adopted.
- Acquiring knowledge is difficult to achieve while caring for patients in a busy practice setting.
- Knowledge is an essential component to increasing competency in clinical ultrasound.
- A structured learning program of theory, supplemented by extensive case review is needed to improve patient care.
This activity was designed to change learners’ knowledge by providing them the strategies to adopt clinical ultrasound in their clinical practice and care of patients in anesthesiology and critical care medicine.
Learn the cognitive skills needed to apply the knowledge gained through learning sono-anatomy, the uses of clinical ultrasound, and learn patterns of pathology that integrate the ultrasound diagnosis into clinical decision making. This includes case study review through the uses of case-based examples.
The Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists designates this enduring material for a maximum of 85 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s) ™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
CME credit may ONLY be claimed for the successful completion of the following tutorials:
- Basic Transthoracic Echocardiography (50 hours)
- Lungs (10 hours)
- Vessels (5 hours)
- Abdomen and Peri-Arrest (20 hours)
Pricing for Online Course only
- SCA Members: $1,000
- Non Members: $1,300
Check SCA regularly for the dates of the next hands-on workshops!
Skills Log Book
Following the online and hands-on experiences, you will be prepared to bring your new learning or honed skills back to your institution. Post-meeting, you will be able to use an online log book to document the supervised perioperative ultrasound studies that you perform.