Identify lung pathology in COVID-19 patients earlier than CXR. Use sterile plastic sheaths to prevent contamination of the portable ultrasound machine.
Dr Canty summarises this revolutionary teaching method in the video below.
- Lung ultrasound can be used to easily and rapidly identify common lung pathologies encountered in medicine and surgery, including COVID-19 infection.
- Advantages over chest x-ray and computed tomography include increased availability, lack of exposure to radiation, reduced cost and repeated use as a monitor.
- This course will practice scanning and interpretation of pathology on a Vimedix Ultrasound Simulator guided by your personal digital assistant. Other skills learned include safe and practical methods of minimising contamination with micro-organisms and ultrasound-guided aspiration and drainage of pleural effusion.
- No workshop or practice on patients or volunteers is required!
- Start and complete the course when it is convenient for you!
This is a self-directed online course. Upon receipt of payment, you will receive a “Getting Started” email with instructions on how to access the course materials. Have the flexibility to study in your own time and location. Program materials can be accessed through the eLearning app on smartphones and tablets with iOS, Android or Windows systems. Once the program materials have been downloaded on smartphones and tablets, all the interactive media content can be viewed even when offline (however internet access is required periodically to login or re-verify login credentials). Program materials can also be accessed online using a web browser.
You will need access to a VimedixTM Ultrasound Simulator with pleural module (CAE Healthcare). The COVID-19 lung ultrasound and thoracocentesis Blue Phantom simulators are optional. For a quote or information on the nearest simulators to you, please go here.
- Learn and practice how to perform point of care lung ultrasound
- Learn and practice how to interpret common lung pathologies and COVID-19 using lung ultrasound
- Learn how to perform lung ultrasound safely for patients with contagious disease
- Learn and practice performing ultrasound guided aspiration and drainage of pleural effusion
- Introduction to the course
- Lung Ultrasound Diagnosis
- COVID-19 Lung Ultrasound Tutorial
- Lung Ultrasound Procedures and Case Studies
- Performing Lung Ultrasound on the Simulator – the ‘digital workshop’
- Lung Ultrasound Simulator Drainage of Pleural Effusion
10 On-line lung ultrasound pathology case studies
- Practice interpretation and reporting
12 Simulator Case Studies
- Have a go at scanning the simulator and diagnose the lung conditions
- Personalised and secure online logbook to facilitate certification
- Supervisor verification option
- On-line MCQ’s, open book and feedback in real-time