|Trainee||SCA/ASA Member||Non Member|
|$1000 USD – Click here||$1600 USD – Click here||$2099 USD – Click here|
This activity was designed to change learners’ competence and performance by providing them the knowledge to adopt Basic TEE in their clinical practice and care of patients in anesthesiology and critical care medicine.
The Basic Perioperative TEE program is a collaboration of the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) and the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists (SCA) for anesthesiologists, emergency medicine, critical care physicians, researchers and other health-care professionals with an interest in anesthesiology. The Basic TEE program is offered to society members at this special price. 60 AMA PRA Category 1 CME Credits™ are available upon completion of all 100 cases.
The Basic Perioperative TEE program focuses on the basic hemodynamic state, ventricular function and valve pathology, which has been categorized into those that are likely to cause hemodynamic compromise or those that may not. By the end of this program, the student will be exposed to a wide variety of cardiac pathology.
This is an online program. Upon payment, the student will receive a “Getting Started” email with instructions on how to receive the program materials upon receipt of payment.
Students have the flexibility to study in their own time and location. Program materials can be accessed through the iTeachU app on smartphones and tablets with iOS, Android or Windows systems. Once the program materials have been downloaded on smartphones and tablets, all the interactive media content can be viewed even when offline (however internet access is required periodically to login or re-verify login credentials). Program materials can also be accessed online using a web browser.
- Introduction to Basic TEE
- TEE Examination
- Anatomy of the Heart and Coronary Arteries
- Anatomy of the Heart Valves
- Basic Haemodynamic State Assessment
- iHeartScan Views, Valves and Pericardium
- Artefact Generation
Upon completion of the course, you will receive an email notification of enrollment in the ASA Education Center with instructions to complete the course evaluation and claim credits.
Statement of Need
- Clinical assessment using conventional aids including the stethoscope and anesthetic monitoring is frequently inaccurate and misses important cardiac pathology in about 50% of patients who are elderly or at risk of heart disease. Use of Basic transesophageal echocardiography (TEE) can increase the diagnostic accuracy of cardiac diagnosis to > 90%. Most physicians should be capable of performing Basic TEE to improve diagnostic accuracy for cardiac pathology.
- The use of Basic TEE is established as a practice in Anesthesiology but adoption by anesthesiologists is not yet widespread.
- Acquiring knowledge is difficult to achieve in a busy practice setting.
- Knowledge is an essential component to increasing competency in Basic TEE.
- A structured learning program of theory, supplemented by extensive case review is needed to improve clinical care.
- Understand the concept and limitations of Basic TEE
- Identify the cognitive skills to learn the use of Basic TEE
- Apply the echocardiography patterns required to interpret ventricular and valvular pathology at a basic level
- Assess knowledge through interpretation of 100 Basic TEE images/cases
- Perform Basic TEE in the perioperative setting
Academic and private practice anesthesiologists, residents, and fellows providing care in a teaching or community-based hospital setting.
Version 1 Release Date: 3/11/2013 Version 1 Expiration Date: 3/12/2016
Version 2 Release Date: 3/12/2016 Version 2 Expiration Date: 4/11/2017
Version 3 Release Date: 4/12/2017 Version 3 Expiration Date: 4/13/2020
Activity release date: 5/21/2020 Expiration Date / Deadline to Claim CME Credit: 1/31/2023
Commercial Support for Program: None
All faculty, planner and staff have indicated that they have no relevant financial relationships with commercial interests to disclose.
The American Society of Anesthesiologists remains strongly committed to providing the best available evidence-based clinical information to participants of this educational activity and requires an open disclosure of any potential conflict of interest identified by our faculty members. It is not the intent of the American Society of Anesthesiologists to eliminate all situations of potential conflict of interest, but rather to enable those who are working with the American Society of Anesthesiologists to recognize situations that may be subject to question by others. All disclosed conflicts of interest are reviewed by the educational activity course director/chair to ensure that such situations are properly evaluated and, if necessary, resolved. The American Society of Anesthesiologists educational standards pertaining to conflict of interest are intended to maintain the professional autonomy of the clinical experts inherent in promoting a balanced presentation of science. Through our review process, all American Society of Anesthesiologists CME activities are ensured of independent, objective, scientifically balanced presentations of information. Disclosure of any or no relationships will be made available for all educational activities.
Accreditation and Credit Designation
The American Society of Anesthesiologists is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Society of Anesthesiologists designates this enduring material for a maximum of 60 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Recommended time to complete
3 to 6 months
Deadline to claim CME credit
The information provided in this CME activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a health care provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
Special Group discounts
|ASA Member fee|
|ASA Group 2-5||$1,250|
|ASA Group 6-9||$1,100|
|ASA Group 10-19||$1,000|
|Trainee Group 2-5||$750|
|Trainee Group 6-9||$600|
|Trainee Group 10+||$500|
|Non ASA Indiv||$2,099|
This course is discounted for ASA or SCA members.
Non-members of the ASA or SCA can purchase this course at the non-member rate.
Further discounts are offered to Trainees and Residents.
Please use the buy now group purchase link above to contact us about group purchase discounts.
Contact: For technical support please contact email@example.com